Sheet Metal Apprentice
GENERAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must be able to perform work from ladders, mechanical lifts, and in confined spaces.
- Good mechanical aptitude.
- Good common sense.
- Good work ethic and the desire to advance professionally and personally.
- Reliable transportation.
- Ability to maintain a positive, willing, and trainable attitude.
- Have the ability to get along with and work well with people on all levels.
- Work flexible hours depending on project requirements. Normal job site hours are 7:00am – 3:30pm.
- Must have or purchase all the tools listed on the required “Apprentice Tool List” and be willing to purchase additional tools as their skills advance.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Learn company safety policies and procedures.
- Learn the safety, field, shop, warehouse, tool, supplies, material, fittings, equipment, and industry terminology, also its proper uses.
- Load and unload installation equipment and materials, prepare jobsites for installation (ie: clear accesses, layout material, set up tools and equipment, etc).
- Make sure work areas and jobsites are clean and free from safety hazards at all times.
- Pull/load/put away equipment, materials, supplies, and tools daily.
- Capable of using all of the sheet metal hand and power tools required to get daily tasks completed in a timely manner.
- Learn to cut in or drill basic accesses for ductwork, venting, combustion air, condensate drains, refrigeration piping, low voltage or control wiring.
- Learn to install basic ductwork, fittings, “B”-type vent, PVC vent, combustion air, condensate drain, low voltage, and control wiring.
- Develop blue print reading skills to identify equipment and material locations.
- Learn basic mechanical code requirements and company quality control measures.
- Help maintain company equipment, tools, and vehicles.
- Listen to, learn from, and pay attention to instructions from more experience personnel.
- Learn shop and office paperwork. Act as a material or equipment runner when requested by a supervisor.